Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A dog with a Ph.D?

When I was younger I used to call guide dogs, "dogs with a Ph.D." I decided this would be my next blogpost on Friday, when I went on a dinner cruise around the bay. On the cruise a visually impaired woman was dining with her guide dog and I engaged in a conversation with her about her dog. I could not believe how well behaved the dog was, and everytime the woman got out of her seat, the dog always guided her around obstacles, to her correct seat. The dogs name was Rolanda and her skill to navigate her owner around the rocking ship was impressive to say the least. The things these dogs are capable of are so unbelievable. These dogs are different from birth, as their training starts as a young puppy and they are often pre-selected for this purpose. I had a friend who trained guide dogs as puppies, and the training that these animals undergo is very extensive. Guide dogs must learn to avoid obstacles, stop for changes in elevation such as stairs, lead a person in a straight line, stay completely focused, and always be a reliable companion for their blind counterparts. The idea of a dog being this responsible, intelligent, and cautious is amazing. They learn skills that seem impossible for dogs to attain. These dogs are exposed to stressful situations since puppyhood. They go nearly everywhere with their trainers, from restaurants to the grocery store, constantly adjusting to the chaos around them. I consider guide dogs some of the most talented, intelligent and amazing animals in the world. Guide dogs understand their duty, and seem to protect and assist their owners without fail. They serve a very important role, and they seem to sense their responsibility. Guide dogs truly deserve respect and praise, as they are great contributors to society.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Leah,

    I remember in elementary my class took a field trip to the Guide Dogs For the Blind Center. I thought it was soooooo interesting how the dogs were very well behaved. Unlike my unruly dog who never listened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,

    There is no doubt that guide dogs are some of the smartest and most talented animals. The training they go through is very interesting because these dogs are responsible for leading their owners through life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Le,

    These dogs are kind of really inspirational! It is amazing how they are trained so well and have so much compassion. I love your topic, dogs are a woMAN's best friend. I hope to see pictures of our dogs on here !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leah,
    I LOVE dogs and I admire guide dogs too. I watched some shows about guide dogs and it is really depressing. As there are limited number of well trained guide dogs, the dog won't stay in one family for a long time; it will be transferred to another family. When guide dogs familiarize with one family, it is sad that they have to leave and move to a new family. Departing is sad for both the master and the guide dog as they have developed a strong bond. Anyways, I like the topic of your blog and I will for sure read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leah,
    I am glad to hear your appreciation for guide dogs. I think they should be praised more than they are now. These dogs are quite intelligent and they receive my highest respect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah,

    I just want to say upfront that the photo you feature in your post is so adorable! I agree that the discipline these guide dogs have are truly remarkable. It's interesting to learn that these dogs go through vigorous training at such a young age. I can't help but wonder what the specific exercises are.

    ReplyDelete